Questions to Ask Your Registered Training Organisation |

A lot of people enter vocational education and training courses without first investigating their career options…Remember, organisations are there to help you in every way, so if you are unsure of course options or what is available to you, let them know!I have compiled a ‘mock’ question and answer (1) scenario of what someone interested in obtaining the Cert IV in TAE may ask. If you do not have time to call your training provider, a lot of the below information is generally available on the chosen registered training organisations website! So check out a range of RTOs before settling on your course.Q: By undertaking the Training and Assessment Course what qualification will I receive?A: The Training and Assessment qualification is offered as a Certificate or Diploma qualification, depending on your career needs.Q: Is the qualification nationally recognised?A: This is a very important question. Not all training institutions offer their courses as nationally recognised. Be sure to check whether the qualification you receive is nationally recognised and nationally accredited.Q: Can I build on this qualification?A: Generally… Yes!Students who undertake the Cert IV in TAE can go onto study the Diploma of TAE. Alternatively, a large majority of students undertake vocational education and training as a pathway to other higher education qualifications such as university. Also, some students choose to undertake another Cert IV level qualification that is complementary to the Training and Assessment qualification such an OH&S course.Q: How long does the qualification take?A: This depends on your training provider, but the course generally runs for 12 months. However, timing considerations give rise to a number of factors.Students who have plenty of spare time to dedicate may finish the course in a few months, while those with busier schedules may take the full 12. Some students, due to unforeseen circumstances, need to extend their course for perhaps a few more months. It really does depend on your personal situation.Q: Is the training offered in ‘semesters’ or ‘terms’?A: Generally, training institutions do not run in ‘semesters’ or ‘terms’. Rather they provide a gradual intake of students for face-to-face courses and allow most online and distance based students to start almost immediately. Courses can be offered all over Australia, from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, Parramatta and Sydney and Perth and Melbourne. Check with your registered training provider to find out their current locations!Q: Do I need to attend all of the classes; are units available through distance or online education?A: Many courses are offered through traditional ‘face-to-face’ classes, as well as blended, distance and online. Blended classes consist of face-to-face workshops and online study which means students have the greatest flexibility, allowing them to pick courses suited to their needs and lifestyle.Q: Do I need to undertake any placements during my studies?A: Each course varies greatly meaning in one qualification you may need to undertake workplace training or placements and in another nothing may be required. Placements are designed to get you ready for the workplace and it is advised you contact your training institute or course provider to find out the finer details. Remember to check whether they organise the placements for you – or whether you need to take this initiative yourself!Read more on the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment to gain one of Australia’s most in demand qualifications.More questions are available @